Anne Gignac is a Registered Dietician and Assistant to the Director of Technical Services at the CHU de Québec-Université Laval. She is in charge of five food services that employ more than 370 employees. She has been a proud member of the CHU de Québec for over 17 years and has held various management positions that have allowed her to use her leadership skills to improve both the quality and the security of its food offering. She is passionate about food from a point of view of promoting health, care and rehabilitation. For her, food is more than simple nourishment; it can feed us on several levels: physically, psychologically, socially and culturally.
CHU de Québec-Université Laval
The CHU de Québec-Université Laval includes the following hospitals: CHUL, Hôtel-Dieu de Québec, Hôpital de l'Enfant-Jésus, Hôpital du Saint-Sacrement, Hôpital Saint-François d'Assise. It is the largest specialised care center in Quebec and ranks amongst the three largest in Canada. It offers general and specialised care, but mainly highly-specialised care to a population of approximately 2 million people in Eastern Quebec, and has over 13 000 employees. Working in close partnership with Laval University and with an eye to the future…, the CHU’s mission is also one of teaching and research in various fields of excellence. Studies on technologies, responses and treatments are conducted through its research program.
A key actor in the Québec City area, CHU de Québec–Université Laval seeks to implement measures that will reduce the impact of its operations. Since procurement processes do indeed greatly determine organizations’ environmental, social and economic impact, the CHU de Québec–Université Laval is aligning its project with sustainable food procurement.
More precisely, the project will include:
- Taking stock of the situation in regard to sustainable food procurement, choosing among inspiring practices and targeting recommendations
- Identifying the criteria and clauses related to food procurement issues that could be applied to calls for tender
- Choosing products with the best environmental or social performance over their lifecycles or at the most problematic stages of their lifecycles
- Setting technical specifications criteria
- Coordinating various actors prior to drafting calls for tender relating to food or sustainable development
- Developing tools to support procurement officers’ work